A philosopher saw a fisherman taking the sun on a beach and asked: “Why aren’t you fishing?”
哲学家看到一个渔夫在海滩上晒太阳,问:“你怎么不去捕鱼?”
The fisherman said: “I’ve already brought back a catch.”
渔夫说:“我已经捕鱼回来了。”
The philosopher said: “Why don’t you catch another boatload?”
哲学家说:“为什么不多捕一船鱼?”
The fisherman said: “I have enough to eat and enough for my needs already.”
渔夫说:“我已经够吃够用的了。”
The philosopher said: “If you caught more you would earn more from selling them.”
哲学家说:“你多捕鱼可以多卖钱呀。”
The fisherman shook his head: “What would I want all that money for?”
渔夫摇了摇头:“要那么多的钱干什么?”
The philosopher reckoned on his fingers: “If you caught an extra boatload a day, in fifteen years you could buy a lot of boats.”
哲学家掐了掐指头,算了一算,说:“如果你每天多捕一船鱼,十五年后就可以买很多船。”
The fisherman said lazily: “What’s the use of that?”
渔夫懒洋洋地说:“那又怎么样?”
The philosopher said seriously: “By then, you could take your ease and lie sunbathing on the beach.”
哲学家认真地说:“那个时候,你就可以安安心心地躺在海边晒太阳了。”
The fisherman said: “But aren’t I already lying at ease on the beach sunbathing? And now, revered philosopher, sir, be so good as to move aside and stop blocking my sun.”
渔夫说:“我这不已经是安安心心地躺在海边晒太阳了吗?现在,伟大的哲学家啊,劳驾你挪开,别挡住我的阳光啊。”
It can be seen from this that sunlight exists in any place and at any time.
由此可见,阳光随处存在,随时存在,关键在于你有没有欣赏阳光的心情。
The key is whether or not you are in the frame of mind to enjoy it.
关键在于你有没有欣赏阳光的心情。
Happiness too is there and readily available.
阳光是当下的,是现成的,快乐也是当下的,是现成的。
中文大意:
哲学家看到一个渔夫在海滩上晒太阳,问:“你怎么不去捕鱼?”
渔夫说:“我已经捕鱼回来了。”
哲学家说:“为什么不多捕一船鱼?”
渔夫说:“我已经够吃够用的了。”
哲学家说:“你多捕鱼可以多卖钱呀。”
渔夫摇了摇头:“要那么多的钱干什么?”
哲学家掐了掐指头,算了一算,说:“如果你每天多捕一船鱼,十五年后就可以买很多船。”
渔夫懒洋洋地说:“那又怎么样?”
哲学家认真地说:“那个时候,你就可以安安心心地躺在海边晒太阳了。”
渔夫说:“我这不已经是安安心心地躺在海边晒太阳了吗?现在,伟大的哲学家啊,劳驾你挪开,别挡住我的阳光啊。”
由此可见,阳光随处存在,随时存在,关键在于你有没有欣赏阳光的心情。
阳光是当下的,是现成的,快乐也是当下的,是现成的。
摘自: 吴言生著《CHINESE ZEN A PATH TO PEACE AND HAPPINESS》,
TONY BLISHEN 译,Better Link 出版社,纽约 )